• If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • You already know Dokkio is an AI-powered assistant to organize & manage your digital files & messages. Very soon, Dokkio will support Outlook as well as One Drive. Check it out today!


Changing legal status

Page history last edited by Holly Swyers 6 years, 7 months ago

How do you figure out what steps you need to go through to change your legal status (e.g. marriage, name change, licensure)?


Change of residence

If you change which town or state you live in, you will need to change your driver's license and your car registration and insurance. You may have to get a residency sticker for your car, and you will need to register to vote at your new address. You can do that at the DMV. You can also google the answers to this question. Make sure the sites you look at are .gov sites, which are official government organizations. Be prepared to have to show utility bills for your new address.


Name Change

This is most likely to happen when you get married or divorced. When you are getting married, consider any travel plans you have. For example, if you buy tickets for your honeymoon before you change your name, you might want to wait to change your name legally until you have completed travel. You want to make sure you don't get held up at the airport because your name does not match your ticket. Most of the forms to do this are online, or you can go to your local courthouse if you want to talk to someone in person.


Professional License

For jobs where you need a license to practice, be aware that rules vary from state to state. You should contact your professional organization or the place where you got your training to find out what support they can offer to make sure you get the proper credentials to practice your business.

This page was developed from interviews with:

Bonnie Burgess, Arlene London, Melissa Adams, Dennis Powell, Arthur Miller, Bonnie Bennett, Percy Ida

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.